Florida Lighthouse Association





Preserving, Restoring, Protecting & Defending Florida's Lighthouse Towers

Sanibel Island



Photo by  Waddy Thompson     


Photo: Eric Martin
 
Active: Yes

Characteristics: Flashing white twice every six seconds.

Height: 112 feet, 101 steps

DayMark: Brown square pyramidal skeletal tower enclosing stair cylinder

History: Constructed 1884. First Lighted August 20, 1884. On National Register Listing.

Lens: Original: Third-order revolving Fresnel lens (1884-1923). Third-order fixed Fresnel lens (1923-1962). Present: 300mm lantern. Focal Plane: 98 feet.

Construction: Builder: Phoenix Ironworks. Iron skeletal tower constructed of concreat and iron pilings.

Other Buildings: Two elevated, wood-frame keeper's dwellings (1884); brick oil storage house (1894).

Coordinates:
     26 27 11 N
     82 00 51 W

Operated by: United States Coast Guard

Visit Status: Grounds Only

Facilities: Museum, Gift Shop

Visitor Info: The lighthouse is on the grounds of a city park. Lighthouse is closed, keepers’ dwellings are residences for city employees. Grounds only open.

Contact:
Sanibel Historical Village & Museum
Charles LeBuff
910 Fitzhugh St.
Sanibel, FL  33957

Email: sanybelcl@aol.com

Back to Lighthouse List>





Florida Lighthouse Association PO Box 1676, St Petersburg, Florida 33731

(727) 667-7775           Info@FloridaLighthouses.org


A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION (CH8757) AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES ON  THEIR WEBSITE   OR BY CALLING TOLL-FREE 1-800-435-7352 WITHIN THE STATE. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR  RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.


    

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software