Florida Lighthouse Association





Preserving, Restoring, Protecting & Defending Florida's Lighthouse Towers

St. Marks Lighthouse



Photo: Nick Baldwin
 


Active: Yes

Characteristics: Occulting white light every four seconds (electric flasher)

Height: 88 feet, 85 steps

DayMark: White-washed conical brick tower with a black lantern

History: Constructed 1829-1830, 1842. First Lighted 1831,1842. On National Register Listing.

Lens: Original: Fifteen Lewis Argand lamps with fourteen-inch reflectors; Winslow Lewis (1831). Present: Forth-order fixed Fresnel lens; Henry-Lepaute (1867). Focal Plane: 82 feet.

Construction: Architect: Winslow Lewis. Builder: Benjamin Beal and Jairus Thayer (first tower); Calvin Knowlton (second and third towers). Conical brick tower constructed of brick and iron.

Other Buildings: Attached 1871 keeper's dwelling.

Coordinates:
     30 04 18 N
     84 10 48 W

Operated by: United States Coast Guard & St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge

Visit Status: Grounds Only

Days Open: Refuge Open Daily

Facilities: None, no handicap access

Hours Open: Refuge is open 8:00 am to 4:30 pm

Visitor Info: Grounds only, access through St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge.

Admission: Free ($5.00 admission to the Wildlife Refuge)
 
Contact:
St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge
P.O. Box 68
St. Marks, FL 32355

Email: saintmarks@fws.gov
Back to Lighthouse List>





Florida Lighthouse Association PO Box 1676, St Petersburg, Florida 33731

(727) 667-7775           Info@FloridaLighthouses.org


A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION (CH8757) AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES ON  THEIR WEBSITE   OR BY CALLING TOLL-FREE 1-800-435-7352 WITHIN THE STATE. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR  RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.


    

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software